Memorial Day, the federal U.S. holiday that takes place every year on the last Monday of May, is just another excuse for a three-day weekend. It’s also known as the day that marks the official start of summer and as a day devoted to getting great deals at the mall. However, the true meaning of Memorial Day goes far beyond barbecues and mattress sales. Here we have best Memorial Day quotes and sayings to keep the spirit of freedom alive.
Famous Memorial Day Quotes 2019
- My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
John F. Kennedy
- Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
- Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.
- Memorial Day this year is especially important as we are reminded almost daily of the great sacrifices that the men and women of the Armed Services make to defend our way of life.
- I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
James A. Baldwin
- These fallen heroes represent the character of a nation who has a long history of patriotism and honor – and a nation who has fought many battles to keep our country free from threats of terror.
Michael N. Castle
- As America celebrates Memorial Day, we pay tribute to those who have given their lives in our nation’s wars.
John M. McHugh
- A man’s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.
George William Curtis
- I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
- Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong.
- There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America.
William J. Clinton
- True patriotism isn’t cheap. It’s about taking on a fair share of the burden of keeping America going.
- I have long believed that sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism.
- On what rests the hope of the republic? One country, one language, one flag!
- Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade.
Philip James Bailey
- Patriotism was a living fire of unquestioned belief and purpose.
- The average American is nothing if not patriotic.
- There are no points of the compass on the chart of true patriotism.
Robert Charles Winthrop